Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lokon Erupting

Fresh from the crater: Mount Lokon in Tomohon, North Sulawesi, erupts, spewing hot lava and sending a towering cloud of volcanic ash 1,500 meters into the sky on Friday morning. Authorities have evacuated more than 2,500 residents living within a 3.5-kilometer radius of the volcano.(Antara/Jemmy)
Lokon, in Manado, North Sulawesi last week.

A more peaceful Lokon in the rays of the dawn sun.
The pic taken from the dormant Mahawu volcano on my trip there in 2009

I visited Manado about 2 years ago. I read recently that the Lokon volcano that I had hiked up had erupted last week. - Go HERE for footage. It's surreal when you have the memories of an easy morning hike up a sleeping volcano jarred in one's mind when you see the footage of a slowly wakening giant of lava and fire.

These are more peaceful pictures i took on my one hour trek up the old lava trail from the village of Tomohon up to Lokon. Even on that trip the volcano was active but not erupting.


A picture of the steaming crater with boiling water inside. The smell of sulphur is strong in the air.
Dharma and my guide Antje against the back drop of the rising steam cloud from the crater.

My old post of the hike up Lokon is HERE.

No comments: