Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sunday Storm

So the storm hit Manila Sunday. The cloudy overcast sky caught me off guard especially with the searing heat from Friday and Saturday. Actually the winds only picked up towards the evening but as Pacquiao had Mosley on the run in Vegas, Filipinos were celebrating the eventual victory in lovely windy noon day weather.

Latest reports put the deaths from 9-11 people (report HERE) but from my hotel room it was one of those 'moments'.

This time around I was on the 20th floor of the New World Renaissance Hotel in Makati, my view overlooking the city and the ocean just peeping near the horizon. When i get a room this high up I almost almost work in the dark or just chill with a beer and watch TV with the blinds pulled all the way back. In the distance lights shone and twinkled. Headlights from cars raced each other across snaking expressways and flyovers. The trains ran past every once in a while. The huge digital billboard on the lone high rise building in front of me had pictures of a smiling woman which laughed and shone in the almost pitch dark spaces that tried to steal some inches from road lamps, blinking traffic lights, humming porch lights...

Somewhere outside music throbs and pounds. I hear the strong wind beat against my window. I walk to it and before me lays a carpet of lights, everyone with a story to tell.

Some thing's wrong. I try to put a finger to it and suddenly realize all the lights directly in front of me are blinking. They are dancing and twinkling for the 180 degrees directly in front of me. It's am amazing sight that every form of light - street, home, cars were dancing and blinking to the wild songs of a hidden silent musician. I am still staring and trying to figure out what is happening and suddenly realise that the trees, all hidden in the shadows of darkness are dancing wildly in the fierce gusts of wind. As i can't see the trees, the surging and violent shaking of the trees were covering and moving away from lights all across my view. I go back, quickly boil a cup of instant noodles, pull the sofa in front of my window and take a seat to enjoy the show. Behind me the high pitched chatter of some Japanese cartoon on Animax fills the room with the sounds of maniacal combat. Somehow it feels apt.

Its my first contact from the tropical storm. this was of course just the spillover from the actual impact on the northern part of Luzon island and mild compared to the impact that brought landslides and downed power lines. Yes lives were lost, but for that 30 minutes as i sipped hot soupy noodles in a cold hotel room, as a howling wind beat upon my window high up overlooking the city, i was lost in display of an unintentional light show orchestrated by the forces of nature and the creations of man.

7 comments:

J said...

So what flavour were your noodles? (LOL. Good prioritisation, Chindi...)

Chindiana said...

Prawn curry J. Hot thick prawn curry and followed by cold Sunkist, Oreos and a hot coffee in that order. Yes i am putting on weight....

ah lim said...

awesome diet

langkau said...

I'm afraid of heights. I would have brought my bowl of noodles down to the lobby to eat. Or outside...for a clearer view.

Chindiana said...

Ah Lim!!! I know! will enable you to leap tall buildings in a single bound and stop speeding bullets with your nose hair...

Langkau! somehow i can see you huddled by the concierge counter slurping on some Maggi curry soup noodles. BUT at the lobby level nothing much to see cept maybe the 60 year old Mat Salleh tourist coming back with their 19 year old 'dates'. oh wait.... sorry......

Nex said...

You know what this post needs?

A pic taken from inside your room towards the window from an elevated angle showing you in silhouette sitting in front of the window looking out, preferably showing the bowl(or cup) of prawn curry noodle in your hand...

Chindiana said...

aisey i wish i had to camera and patience for this Nex. although you're right it would have made a great atmosphearic shot!