Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Travel and See the World Young Man.....

They told me this when i was young, way before I even had hair nestled gently below my arm pits. I Indian priest also told me about 10 years ago that I would work and travel abroad frequently, he even mentioned the US of A. Adventures loomed to me when I was 6 - i was an international man of mystery who would travel to England to look for Enid Blyton and we would fight the Evil Empire (of wait, i was 10) when Vader wanted to use the Magic Faraway Tree as a docking bay for the Death Star. I would then fly to America where my heroine who looked surprisingly like Erin Gray would help me blast away Storm Troopers in a hail of fire and laser beams.

At 15 I yearned to travel and write stories of adventures, inspired by Biggles, Ernest Hemmingway and that Hardy Boy ripoff series about two brothers who travelled the world saving animals.

At 22 with a job in Nike I travelled but instead of postings abroad I was more than happy to stay days, weekends, weeks from Hong Kong to Portland. I saved and scrapped for that one month holiday to Nepal. ANd the momentum gained. Travel has been part of my life but never ever was i close to ever getting a job abroad. I did not have the paper qualifications (make that a degree) to ever qualify for a multinational company and so I remained contented in weekly excursion across borders.

Now with 2 extra years tagged onto 40 i get an offer to move abroad. But its me so it's not New York or London or Hong Kong.

Its Jakarta.

Where some of the sexiest women in South East Asia reside.

Aiyaaaa.....

Also I would need to oversee a Singapore office which details are not too clear.

So with age now catching up with me and the wanderlust somewhat satiated after more than two decades of travelling, I am actually quite content to stay in my comfort zone and when you are thinking more about the jakarta traffic instead of the sexiness on display, you just KNOW you're getting old.

However, Jakarta is close to Bali and Bali has beaches and mountains and cheap beers. That bar by the beach will happen folks. Even if ITS JUST a wooden plank and a roof. This is a promise I make to you all. And drinks will be on the house for all of you when it happens. Except Langkau of course. Your quota is 3 jugs for the first night.

I believe the next year will see me put the foundations of where I will live out my old age. I think anyway. Beaches call me. Corporate politics suck the sweat off my balls on a daily basis and simplicity does not bring along high blood pressure and cholesterol along for the ride.

Beach, babes and beers. What else to want eh?

wait, did i digress somewhat?

5 comments:

langkau said...

3 jugs?! I fly all the way there and I get 3 jugs? Ok, ok...what if I bring a plank of wood specially and illegally logged behind my house? :-)

Anis said...

So when are you leaving again??

Chindiana said...

3 jugs enough la Langkau unless i can find Cap Ah Pek in Bali! eh i tot you and illegal loggers were arch enemies? or you became one already?

Anis! Leaving possibly in May but i dont mind waiting as Jakarta traffic is a turn off BUT i still need to come back to KL too so it wont be really 100% in Jakarta.

LCB said...

Sound like i will have kaki when im in Jakarta already...

Also , dont think Bali will be happening for me end of this month... work has morphed itself into a pms-ing bitch...

Chindiana said...

Ok la. eh see you next week LCB. we catch up with Wan for drinks la.

Hey if not too much trouble can cari me the Vietnam shirt? Thanks man!