Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lets NOT Lemming

The Philippines gets tsunami alerts the moment the quake hit Japan. I was with some Pinoys over breakfast in Manila. They greeted the news with nonchalance, called their immediate relatives in the affected areas to move inland and then asked me where we were going for beers later in the evening.

On sunday, mass sms's say that radiation has spread to the Philippines from the nuclear reactor in Japan. Mass BBM messages spread asking me to pray for the Japanese and asked me to send it on. - what the fuck is this shit - these folks dont pray even in normal circumstances. Why would God listen to those with selective prayer practives based on dramatic circumstances?Where's the simple prayer to thank Him for putting a meal in front of you everyday? Yesterday I get SMS, BBM and FB messages saying that I should stay indoors as the rains will be acid and it will burn me and my balls will become impotent.

I guess they mean well but WHY spread shit when its not subtantiated? Look, if the world's going to go boom, what have they done to keep their families safe? If there's nothing we CAN do, lets just go to a bar and have sex, get drunk, watch reruns of Glee or whatever it is that rocks your boat. Getting to the base of the fact will at least allow us some good sense to judge our actions for the day.

If I were to listen to all that crap on the net and mobile phones I would be hunkered down in my apartment, praying to the 1,000 Hindu Gods and Bob Marley (thrown in for good measure) while ordering pizza and secretly praying for the soul of that poor Domino's delivery loser who would be soaked in acid rain. And whose kids would turn out to be zombies. and who would take over Batang Berjuntai and spread across the world and then I would email Carlos and ask him if he could come save me as he's more prepared for a zombie holocaust than i am and that i hope he could help make his way through Europe as the Pacific Ocean was now alive with all manner of off sea mutant sealife of Godzilla size propotions and that we would somehow find a sanctuary in the mountains of the Kelabit highlands that even corrupt politicians fear to thread where Langkau and Nex had set up the last human outpost manned by mutant Jedi dressed up as Japanese schoolgirls!

whoa......

BUT....

The reactor core has not been breached. There is radiation leaking but the explosions have not yet affected the core. The royal fuck up is when that happens. Then we all go hit that bar. Of course we learn from Chernobyl and even the Bhopal incidences. Its bad but the actual spread will only hit us in about 5 years to a decade gradual exposure to contaminated food or drinking water turns us into mutant retards. There is no radioactive wave of death on the Philippines (google any local Philippine news agencies, bbc.com). Things are getting scary. Thats true. Reactor 5 and 6 now have tempretures rising. anything can happen. But in the meantime...

...I am going ahead with my meeting with a guest from Japan. I am going to reschedule my doctors meeting. I need to run out and buy some Thai Bhat for my trip to Bangkok on Thursday and then I am going back to the office to finish of replying emails that i have been slacking off lately.

We can send money to Japan but I would say take your time and send it through some respectable agency and not by buying Lady Gaga's 5 dollar band. It's going to take time for the Japanese to get back up but they will. The discpline of that country is steel. They will perservere.

But we know now that this world is volatile. We can't turn things back. Corrupt politics, industrial and corporate greed and the control of a few over many will not allow us a future of a better world. That dream is over. face it. Relive in in your parents old photographs.

For now just stop sending me hysterical correspondences withouth verifying if its serious enough for me to postpone Happy Hour.

13 comments:

LCB said...

Spread this word better... ;)

http://www.nikebetterworld.com/

sour milk said...

i have to echo this post. I was just telling my colleague 2 hrs ago how I hate people who mix truths with myths. Things that sound logical but nonetheless pure conjecture without being scientifically sound . I blame in on poor Malaysians who need a sense of involvement by grabbing just whatever that reaches them... wind.. TMNT whatever, when there's big shit happening out there but they're stuck in this peaceful boring place in Malaysia without any sensible drama.
Serious acid rain? come on, who rains without a thumbs up from the real acid.

I got some texts bout shells surfacing outta water as a foreseeable sign from mother nature about the next disaster in KK, and they tied the said fictitious event to the Tuna event in California. It's been explained the event in California is a natural occurrence. They died of oxygen depletion. How I don't know. But nothing to do with earthquake or tsunami.

Worse is the theory about Japan getting served by Karma because of WW2. Come on, for all the wars Europe has ever ravaged on earth since the beginning of calendar, they would've fallen off the map by now.

I'm done ranting, now I need some angry sex. Who's up?

J said...

to sour milk:
That's hot.
(You too, Chindi)
(Luv reading rants, especially when they echo my thoughts)
:)

Chindiana said...

LCB! i sincerely believe that you've got a swoosh tattooed to your heart la. SInce you guys wanna save the world i will come to you with an initiative...... (scared already leh...) Eh you in KL? jom minum!

Acid! well put and awesomely written too! Let the dramatist enjoy their moment in the acid rain. I'll meet you at Ruai for that whisky.

J! hahah glad you like Acid's (Sour Milk) rant. I actually told her you two should meet as you've got many similar traits. AND now that you think she's hot (at least her post) and she's up for angry sex I think this meeting should have ASAP.

Now THATs how you welcome Armageddon - watching 2 hot women go at it..... :P





SORRY SORRY I've had no coffee yet!

ah lim said...

Hooyah!

Chindiana said...

Hooyah you Armageddon Ah LIm? :P

Chindiana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LCB said...

Chindy...

Lets be productive and have a drink with Acid+J+YOU+me...kill 4 birds with 2 chindians...

Make love not war...

And if i were to tattoo a swoosh somewhere , it wont be on my heart ;P

Chindiana said...

i was just being polite LCB old chap. didnt want to use any four letter words. There are children on this blog...

J said...

to LFB:
If you really tattoo a swoosh there then I think you da man lah.

to Chindiana:
So that would be your Armageddon wish?
(Men! *rolls eyes*)

Chindiana said...

J! his tattoo is there and THERE! very man that boy... :P

Haha, hope you didnt hurt yourself rolling your eyes so far back! yesh MEN, and proud of it ! (cue intro theme to Star Wars...)

Nex said...

I didn't get any SMS/email/PM telling me about all this...I feel unimportant :(

Chindiana said...

Nah Nex, they know your Jedi powers will keep you safe from all manner of enviromental devastation!