Wednesday, December 29, 2010

on the way home

Am sitting in what is passing for an airport cafetaria in Bario. My flight's been delayed by two hours but its all good. Its not everyday that another passenger makes u maggi soup as her sister who owns the cafe is busy taking care of the growing crowd caused by the heavy holiday schedule.

This has been the most physically toughest hike I hv been on. Its also been the most idyllic, picture postcard, an eye opener into the past, present and future of cultures living on the very fringes of our own borders. These people are Malaysians same as us but they might as well be Klingon nuns in terms of personal lives.

Also I get to experience one of the most creepy/freaky/heartwarming chainsaw attacks ever. Did I mention that I went through indonesia without a passport? That and more coming soon. Gonna settle down with a Kurt Vonnegut and wait for my flight.

Good to be back folks.

9 comments:

Nex said...

Hey dude you have to hook me up for this hike. I wanna meet Klingon nuns!!! (which is an oxymoron BTW XD)

But seriously, I NEED to go for a long hike after an extremely stressful 2010 >.<

Ashley Liew said...

Ooooh, please spill the deets!

J said...

Chainsaw attacks?? WTH?
Details please... and photos too if you dont mind.

BellaButterNuts said...

chainsaw ala chainsaw massacre..? pls dont tell me you slaughtered em' pole dancing monkeys and ended up crying...? ;P

*PICS! yey!

C. Andres Alderete said...

Everything that your friends said, plus, what Vonnegut book are your reading. This is important.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha...the chainsaw incident! you asked "Is this tradition kah?" glad you survived the 'pleasant' trekking experience. :-)

Anonymous said...

hahahaha...the chainsaw incident! you asked "Is this tradition kah?" glad you survived the 'pleasant' trekking experience. :-)

Chindiana said...

Nex! its very very tough man! - the terrain is steep and hilly. And PLEASE dont bring all your camera equipment! I'll email you the details but you've to prep for this if you want to enjoy it properly.

Coming soon Ladies! just trying to sort out the photos.

Carlos! its Man without A country. Does it pass muster?

Anon! hey Langkau is that you? yes I guess it was 'pleasant' only because the alcohol content off the whisky kept going up every night!

langkau said...

Yeah, it's me. Didn't know how to write my name using the phone thing. Just got back to Kuching 20 minutes ago.