Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ba Kalalan To Bario - The Langkau Christmas Pilgrimage

Picture used without permission from www.treetops-borneo.com

Just before Christmas I head to Sarawak again for a my longest break of the year. This will be a whole new experience as I will be following fellow blogger/environmental activist/anthropologist/connoisseur of moonshine Langkau, who will be taking his yearly Christmas trek back to his home town of Bario. Its about 2-3 days hike through forests and hills. Langkau had me at "its a beautiful trail". So I'm In Like Flynn.

I fly to Miri on the 21st morning, land at 9am, then later at about 1pm I take another flight out on a Twin Otter (i think) to a little town called Lawas where we then hitch a ride on a lorry or truck to Ba Kalalan the next day. We start our trek on the 23rd of December and will arrive in Bario on Christmas. Fantastic no?

I fly out of Bario to Miri on the 29th of December and get back to KL on the same day after a connecting flight in the evening.

What am I expecting? Nothing much as I'm not approaching this with any reservations except for my woeful fitness which is the equivalent of a pregnant Muppet (whatever the fuck that means...)
I haven't worked out since that failed attempt at Gunung Agung a coupla months back which means i need to hit the hills pronto. Maybe throw in some yoga and possibly copious amounts of sex (one does need to work on one's cardio).

I may pack that extra packet of muesli bars for the trek as Langkau and his friends are used to living off the land. I dont' mind fresh wild boar but grilled monkey um.... (wait is that something you even eat Langkau? Beruk and babi hutan tapas style meal in the jungle would be interesting!)

I am hoping to enjoy and take in the Bario highlands. I've packed that good book and finally will be buying a proper DSLR with a wide angle lense.

I hope to learn at least a bit about the Kelabit folk of Bario and to enjoy wandering around the fields and countryside of the Bario highlands. We spend too much time getting caught up with our own shallow shit in the concrete jungle but really folks, the real people living real lives are out there. Simplicity with no excesses. Thats what life is about right? How many of us still look at that new LV bag as if it were a newly minted gold bar? How long does a man with a super model wife cheat on her with a hostess called Fanny? or Apple? or Vagina (if you're in Hong Kong). I am reminded everytime I drive out to some kampung or some village in any of the countries I visit that we dont really need that much to have a full life. Materialism is an unsatisfied bitch with baggage.

Oh and I will probably have to strengthen my liver as Langkau breathes local moonshine and only drinks oxygen once in a while.

14 comments:

Jun-E said...

*ENVY*

On an unrelated note - Vagina? Seriously?

Chindiana said...

Yes Vagina exists Jun-E. In a bar on the mainland. Hong Kong folks are brave people. or seriously lacking in a supply of English dictionaries.

Nex said...

*ENVY*

On an unrelated note - DSLR? Seriously?

J said...

Haha.. This Vagina lady from HK is so famous - even one of my friends have talked to her before.

Chindiana said...

ya DSLR. why ah Nex?

J! after a decade or so Vagina will end up like some urban legend in Hong Kong. People will say in hushed tones, "On that dark stormy night in Mongkok, Vagina tounged me as I downed my Chivas"...

Nex said...

Just can't imagine you lugging around something like that when you've always pride yourself for travelling light :D

freshsourmilk said...

remember the book I was telling you about, written by a malaysian? In the book one of the characters is a pimp, and he names himself "fellatio Lim" because he thought Fellatio is the name of Greek God of Wishdom.

freshsourmilk said...

and by the way why the fuck am i not seeing your itinerary like "drop by kuching to bring acid some hoegarden?"

Chindiana said...

hhahah yea lor Nexo but I am actually doing it for the wide angle shots only. I realize its so frustrating not to be able to show landscapes in its entirety. damn, extra weight man. BUT i will still be taking my little point and shoot with me too!

Woi Acid! i already asked you la about dropping by in Kuching. You said your itinerary not confirmed so i booked myself back to KL la. nevermind i bring some hoe to Miri and post to you. want?

Nex said...

Now you understand why I lugged around that monstrosity in Angkor Wat ;)

ah lim said...

Fellatio Lim?? HAHAHAHAHA

Chindiana said...

Haha yes Nex now I have the memory of you breathing to hard over the walk and I am a bit worried as I have 3 days on the road!

Your cousin ah Mr Lim?

langkau said...

Yes, monyet panggang is edible but I don't think we'll have that for our meal on this trip. I'd rather have sup katak or air liur lintah. :-)

We'll take a few bottles of whiskey with us. Nothing but a nice, warm shots of whiskey in the middle of the jungle. Whiskey in the jungle is even better at night by the fireplace!

Chindiana said...

Langkau! you had me at "few bottles of whiskey!" no prob re sup katak but air liur lintah??? how do get that? by french kissing a leech?