Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Kinabalu Climbathon 2010



I just thought I'd share these pictures from National Geographic photographer (and my partner in crime for the Tasik Bera assignment) Rabani HM Ayub with you guys. Also to the many of us who have scaled this 13,000ft plus granite monster would appreciate the shots.

These pictures were taken at the annual Kinabalu Climbathon, held every October in Sabah. These super athletes from all over the world race up and down the mountain in about 90 minutes where we mere mortals who have poisoned our body with too much mutton curry, nasi lemak, butter prawns, whisky, happy hour beers, rum, tequila, vodka shots and absinthe would barely make it to the peak in 11 hours.


I believe this is the path to the peak after Laban Rata. I thought it would be cool to show you guys these pictures as we are normally cloaked in darkness during the ascent.


I think this is near the Sayat Sayat Hut. I love the trail marked in the granite by the thousands of booted feet of climbers that have ascended Kinabalu Mountain. See the wee 'lil folk in the background?

...and now, clear pictures of what I personally call the Wall of Death. This is the one we climb in darkness and then piss our pants when we descend after sunrise.


Didn't look like this at 4am in the morning did it?


This is the view from the top when you first grab the rope to climb down. Don't you hate it when you can't see the bottom?


I recommend clicking on the pictures to enjoy the full glory of the mountain.

I spoke to Rabani and he is cool with me to show you folks some of his other works. I'll post it up maybe in a week or two as I hit the road again to Manila this week. But in the mean time you can check him out at Facebook. Request an add and the friendly Rabani will add you on. Just look for Rabani HM Ayub on FB.

17 comments:

Ashley Liew said...

I very much prefer poisoning my body with chicken curry (cooked with coconut milk, baby!), char kuey teow, steamed fish head with cili padi, nasi briyani and mango lassi... and then not climb Mount KK at all

Princess said...

Am still shuddering at the memory of the Wall of Death!

Chindiana said...

Then how do you keep so skinny Ms Liew?
Mango lassi... mmmmm....

Never thought you'd meet anything worse than that cliff edge waaaay back when at Bukit Tabur right Princess?

J said...

WAH. *in awe but scared*

veronneca said...

eh, if u r doing this climb (at the usual mere mortal speed).. lemme know. nak ikot?

Chindiana said...

J! Go climb! You can feel both feelings at the same time! :P

V!!! lama tak jumpa! eh thought we supposed to do Bandung first? Bila your schedule open? I already did Kinabalu so trying to spread my time exploring the rest of the region before my bad knees start getting wobbly!

Chindiana said...

Eh sorry V not Bandung, Bromo! :)

langkau said...

that is one reason why i don't like mountains. give me anything but mountains. if i climb this piece of rock, i will not want to come down...at least not the same way.

Chindiana said...

I can tell you Langkau, if i knew what i was getting myself into I would feel the same way. Unfortunately being the impatient grinch that i am, i busted through the hesitant crowd in front of me and grabbed the rope to descend and only THEN i saw what was below. I then proceeded to experienced for the first time in my life the collective feelings of:

1. Balls Shrink
2. Telur Kecut
3. Reversal of Testicular Fortitude

It turned out not that bad later when I saw some of the guys bloody walking down the cliff face with nonchalantly.

langkau said...

"Balls shrink" and "telur kecut" are the same thing lah.

What if the tali putus? That would be something, I reckon.

Chindiana said...

I always thought 'kecut' meant something along the lines of it would invert itself instead of reduce in size. Maybe thats why i got a 7 for my SPM examinations...

Tali putus still got some hope, there is a small ledge below where some guys are positioned. depends on their mood if they want to attempt to catch you la.

ah lim said...

90 minutes?!!! There really are crazy ppl in this world.

Chindiana said...

Crazy and FIT as frak mr Lim! to each his or her own eh?

veronneca said...

babe, bandung anytime la.. this year my travelling schedule dah overbooked la. early next year can plan.

btw, i'd love to do the mount KK but i also have a torn meniscus. sigh.. i'll probably get it repaired soon :(

Chindiana said...

okok set! kita plan over beers soon!

Nex said...

count me in if u guys are climbing...don't mind a 3rd ascend *yawn* before I get too old for it ke ke ke

Chindiana said...

well I dont have the budget for kinabalu as yet as I've another 3 trips to Indonesia for the various climbs planned there. But Veron, i can intro you to Nex, he's the best volunteer tour guide in Sabah! he can also build you a mean sci fi/ fantasy armour too! :P