Thursday, July 8, 2010

Balut




It's ironic that I have my first Balut, the Filipino delicacy in an English pub in Petaling Jaya. As some of you already know the balut is a boiled egg with the embryo of a duckling or chick inside.

The bottom line? It tastes like chicken or duck in an egg. Although we used pepper and soy sauce to eat it with as we would a normal full boiled egg it tasted better with vinegar and salt as our Filipino guest showed us. The meat inside was a bit over boiled ( i think) as some parts were a bit to chewy.

Of course there is the gross factor so the key to probably not to look at it too closely. You don't want to see a malformed Hewey, Dewey or um... Chewey(?) staring back at you.

Peeling off the egg shells often releases the juices and the Filipinos will insists you suck on it. Its no problem, it just tastes like unsalted broth.

I guess I was lucky as some of my buddies had said they had taken a bite and come up with tiny feathers in their mouth. Some say you have to pick out the beak before you swallow. The Filipino lass i was with said that that was rare.

Is it that great a deal? - no. It tastes just like egg with meat. I guess you only go for it to satiate your curiosity or just to impress easily impressed women. No wait, you just might gross them out... Unless they''re Ah Chan or Ashley or Josie or the Princess.

Damn, whats Donald's third nephew's name again?

Chindiana Trails - eating baby ducklings before breakfast....

10 comments:

Chindiana said...

Just testing y'all...

S'wak said...

Huey, Lewey and Dewey.

J said...

D:
Eeeeeeee... but didn't the little chick's eyes look accusingly at you?

C. Andres Alderete said...

Wow. I don't know that I would eat that. That's a first for me by the way. I'll eat anything that doesn't involve feces. (just thought I'd clarify before the jokes came)

C. Andres Alderete said...

So, yeah. I just followed your "Balut" link and I can officially say that you have shown me a food that I will only eat if held at gunpoint.

Josie said...

wait, are you tring to say i'm easily impressed?

....or not easliy grossed out?

Chindiana said...

Um J i can't tell which part was its eye...

But Carlos if you close your eyes it just tastes like ..... chicken! :P

NOT easily grossed out Josie. (except for teleporting leeches). Think you, the Princess and possibly The Safian could makan this easy!

Chindiana said...

Thanks S'wak bro! Louie! SUCCESS!

langkau said...

The first 'balut' I had was in a village outside of Hanoi two years ago. I had five 'balut' and was going for more until my host told me to stop, saying it has "too much cholesterol". Yeah, right. He just didn't want me to enjoy it...

Chindiana said...

Langkau in the house yo!

FIVE 'balut'...???? that good eh? I found it OK only. guess we share different taste buds dude!