Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Earth Below

Surprising how humans respond to the unexpected. The tremors from the Sumatran earthquake was felt in KL yesterday evening. I was in a meeting when the table started quivering. I just thought the lady i was meeting was bored and was thumping the bottom of the table with her knees. Until she got up and left the room. She was unawares of the then swaying table (slightly). Another guy walked in and asked if we felt it. The sales dude across just said loudly that we were imagining things. Surprisingly there was no panic in the office. We just finished the meeting but then took the stairs down.

Funny that a lot of people had evacuated the buildings. And were staring at the top of the buildings. I mean if your building is shaking, one would assume the fault would lie in the foundations. Unless you've got Godzilla and King Kong perched on the roof having teh tarik and curry puffs.

Anyway I insisted that whatever it was it was probably far away or else we would have been fucked anyway. I really needed a beer after a long day and as long as the bar across the road was still standing I was heading back indoors.

The initial reports we got were outdated news - we berry googled immediately and were informed about the day old news about the tsunami in Samoa and NOT the actual earthquake in Padang, Sumatra. If we felt it here I think the death toll is going to be a lot higher than 20 people.

So we have a tsunami and an earthquake in the region a day apart. Even when I was going to Manado a few months back, Dee a friend of mine from Indonesia had already warned me about hiking the volcanoes as most of the volcanoes in Indonesia - Bali, Manado , etc had recently become active. So the signs were there. The Ring of fire around the Pacific rim is/was getting active. Something was going on down there.

At least the property prices in Bali might go down a little. Anyone want to share in investing in some beach front property?

7 comments:

S'wak said...

2012 is coming, dude. The signs are everywhere.

Ally Bedhouin said...

I didn't feel a thing. But then, I'm the person who didn't feel any tremors when that massive earthquake hit China last year - and I was in Beijing! And everyone around me there felt something......

So you to think about a beer when people are wondering about quakes!!! Haha

Chindiana said...

S'wak! guess I should just live it up till then! maybe I should splurge for that Sideshow Premium Format Slave Leia.

Ally, guess that officially brands me an alcoholic huh?

kimmie said...

Gosh, the volcanoes in Bali, Manado are active again??? gee, Sept 29, I walked down to the active Domas Crater @ Tangkuban Perahu @ Bandung leh , soaked my legs and applied mud on my legs, hands, face lagi ......entah-entah I may got 'burned' if the volcano 'ter-erupted' eh

Chindiana said...

well you would have gotten a bit more than just 'burned' :P

Nex said...

Dude, the end of the world is coming and ll you want to splurge on is a Sideshow Premium Format Slave Leia???

To splurge is to get that seaside villa in Bali, and get a horde of girls to dress up as Slave Leia to cater to your every wimp and fancy...

Chindiana said...

Aiya Nex, I'm a poor spender la.... But that Bali things sounds not too bad...