Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lava and Lovina

I'm off to Bali. This time it's NOT WORK!  Again thanks to Ah Lim for the hook up! Also special thanks to S'Ann for the assists.

The main destination for this trip is Mount Batur the volcano at Kintamani. Since the first time I saw it 4 years ago I wanted to climb it. It's always been on my mind. So finally I get to get a volcano out of my system. I'm a little fitter than I was compared to last year when I "Tamil Movie Drama-ed" my sorry unfit ass up Kinabalu Mountain.

I booked the flight in February so completely was not prepared when I realized it was smack during the Ramadhan holidays.  The Lakeside Cottages which is the closest starting point to the volcano has to kick me out on the 2nd of Oct so I need to do my mountain on the 1st of Oct. There goes my plan about spending my birthday having beers on a volcano. So I've decided to explore the quieter part of Bali. After 2 days in Kintamani I head north east for a night in Amed a quiet coastal town and then head north to Lovina where I figured if i can't get drunk on a volcano when I turn a year older, I might as well get drunk swimming with dolphins (supposedly they frequent the area quite often). After that I travel down to Ubud and spend the night of the 4th of October there and get up early to head back to Denpasar for my flight back to KL on the 5th.

I'm planning on traveling lighter. Tempted to leave Old Faithful the Nikon FM2 at home. The last 2 trips that I took this heavy duty monster was very, very disappointing. I used to take decent pics with the old manual but after too much time with the digital point and shoot my current Old Skool pictures have turned out devastatingly fungly! 

Siva from Nike has outfitted me with some Nike Pros and I'm planning on testing the Pro shorts up the volcano. He promised no chaffing between the thighs so that should be a relief to Cumi and Chiki, my little bros who always get nervous during long treks up rocky mountains especially if that day is Briefs Day.

It's a solo trip again as NEX DID NOT GET BACK TO ME WITH HIS CONFIRMATION SO I DID NOT CALL ANYONE ELSE. But it's cool. A friend might meet me half way and if I can find a room in Kuta or Seminyak on the 4th night I might head down to have a dinner with some other friends in Kudeta. Traveling solo is something I'm used to as I can really take in so much more of all that is around me than if I had company especially when I'm in the mood for moving around and exploring. 

I might no be able to upload the entries for the Worst Pick Up Line contest if the internet connections are dodgy so bear with me.

Selamat Hari Raya to alla youse who've been fasting for the past month and to the rest, don't fucking stop to take down the numbers of the accident cars along the North South Highway laaa!!!!! (that means travel and party safe yo : )

10 comments:

RUN WITH THE WAVE said...

Hey there! Come and join us for a BBQ buffet at the beach in Penang this Christmas with watersports activities included! Sign up now! Check out my website at www.runwiththewave.com Thanks!

Han Solo said...

Enjoy yourself!! Batur was great fun when I went up there in 2002. I love early morning departures - we woke up at 3am or something like that, in time for the sunrise.

Chindiana said...

Run - only if the BBQ buffet is free...

Solo! - Yeah i take off bout 4am. I over committed myself as i want to maximize my time so i get back down at bout8am then head out for the Caldera trail bout 9am. another 5 hours that should take me to another peak and down to the opposite side of the lake where the burial grounds are.

Nex said...

Sorry lah, I was holding back with booking the ticket hoping better rates would come around, and SUDDENLY THERE WERE NO MORE FLIGHTS FROM KK TO BALI! WTF?!?!?!

Have a nice trip dude, I really wish I'm there now...

Chindiana said...

its called HARI RAYA HOLIDAYS bro...

Nex said...

Its not just for this week, but for all dates I enter.

Soon after that Bali was removed from the list when I set 'Kota Kinabalu' as the departing venue... :(

Chindiana said...

Wah hope they havent decided to stop the KK-Bali route.

Anonymous said...

Wow! you have a Nikon FM2?! Its a classic! H/Duty piece of equipment. Definitely worth something in the collectors market.

Nex said...

Anon, I have a Graflex Super D large format revolving-back SLR, which is THE last Graflex SLR made. Yo want?

No flash though, as I've kept that for another purpose...

Chindiana said...

Anon 10:23! Yeah I know but this feller's been with me through lotsa shit so not parting with him. Plus it helps in fights in dodgy bars...

Nex! another purpose? light saber spare parts? :P