Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Naitch Calls It A Day

So we know wrestling is fake. That's why its called sports ENTERTAINMENT. On Sunday, 'live' at the largest wrestling event of the year, Wrestlemania 24, Ric Flair, The Nature Boy, lost the Career Threatening match to his close friend Shaun Michaels. Of course I knew he was going to lose. He's almost 500 years old. His body can only take so much. That's why they put Shaun Michaels who's a legend himself and who can make a 3 legged rooster look good in a wrestling ring as his opponent at the largest wrestling event in the world. A fitting finale for an industry legend whose career has spanned 35 years in one of the most physically demanding and hazardous athletic professions in the world.

I've written before on wrestling, the sacrifices these athletes make so I'm not going around that route again. This is about Flair.

The 74,000 crowd at the Citrus Bowl know wrestling is fake BUT that didn't stop many of them from shedding tears when the granddaddy of wrestling took his final walk up the walkway after the loss. They cried for a Legend, for someone who entertained them selflessly, many of them as children and who now stood in the stands with children of their own. Someone who taught the current (Shaun Michaels, Triple H) and the next generations(Orton, Batista) of stars of wrestling. Someone who lost to lesser known youngsters(fukin apple spitting loser Carlito man!!! wat a fukin waste) to help them build their cred. Someone who was a true leader, entertainer and mentor to his co-workers and the people they entertained up to 4 times a week, every week, every month, every year. Hardly a day off. Except when they were injured.

I just got off watching Flair's farewell address on Astro. He cried and it was real. Triple H, who was not being very cerebral assassin-like choked on his words, Bad boy Randy Orton broke character and wiped away a real tear. It was a great send-off especially with the entrance of some of the old legends, the original 4 Horsemen, Harley Race, Ricky Steamboat mixed with the young guns of today, Batista and Cena while the leaders stood by, Triple H and Michaels and the entire WWE roster. Great send off. Those of you who know what I mean have prob seen it already. For those of you who don't, I'm surprised you're still reading this post on wrestling!

In my time handling WWE in Asia, Ric Flair was a PERFECT gentleman. Dressed impeccably in a suit whenever he travelled he was polite, articulate and a true professional. He even addressed me as 'Sir'! I was just the grumpy guy backstage barking orders to all and sundry but to Ric Flair, The Nature Boy, I was 'Sir'. In airport lobbies, on the chartered flights, in the tunnels backstage of a stadium, on a bus, at dinner, lunch, whenever he passed me there would always be a "good day to you sir", "Good morning sir" or "Everything OK sir?" I am no fan boy. I never approach anyone I handle for autographs nor do I find excuses to be around them. So this is NOT fan boy gushing. Its giving respect where respect is due.

Wrestling. Is it fake? Sure. The people? They're real.

And Naitch? Sir, I'd just like to say one thing.

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

4 comments:

Bart 'I won't last a year' August said...

so now naitch has retired, you go take over his spot la. the limousine riding, jet setting, scene stealing, kiss the girls and make them cry...Chindiana Flair! then instead of WOOOOO you go FOOOOOOOO... can ar? I wan be your manager

Chindiana said...

Manager? sure why not? when you want to start? next week?

yum, muffins....

and HEY! its Chindian or Chindy or the Chindian! no OTHER names ler...

Chindiana said...

oh yeah, you may also address me as the God King of Batang Berjuntai.

Chindiana said...

or chindiana...