Thursday, February 7, 2008

That Kid Inside

INCREASE THE PICTURE ABOVE TO READ TEXT.

When I was about 6, I used to day dream that I had a secret lair under my home. There was a secret door in the crawl space under my stairs and it would take me into this combo Batcave/Captain Scarlett/Star Wars Rebel base combo joint. I was some leader of some group of pilots/adventurers. Various secret tunnels would take me into the the rubber estate behind my home or the oil palm estate further away where our larger star craft would docked.

I had toys by the truckload and many battles were won and lost under and on the bed, in the garden, in the tub, on the thick carpet in the hall and especially in the little spring and stream at the fringe of the plantation in the neighbouring housing estate. Later years would see me contemplating getting my 12" Luke Skywalker to get it on with Princess Leia but the sight of her nippleless plastic bobos turned me off 'getting it on' and that put an end of me recreating scenes from some of my aunties Mills and Boon's romance novels (which I accidently flipped through of course).

As we get older and maturity sets in, the sounds of the crying baby smash against our tired daydreams, budget deadlines shout threateningly from the email inbox, bills and more bills lurk in the dark of the mail box, seemingly trying to tear away that shred of wonder we had as a child at all that was around us. Isn't that sense of 'anything's possible' that gives us hope to chase after something unattainable, something new and scary or even just to pluck up the courage to kick some arsehole's um... ass.

It's a tough battle but I think some of us hold on in our own way. Most of you out there do, I know - we quote Vader, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Yoda, we wear the Decepticon T-shirt with pride, our display cabinets at home are stocked with statues and memorablia of Storm Troopers, bounty hunters, Transformers, Spiderman, Batman, Dinasours, elven troops, the Millinium Falcon and even The Fonz! Our DVD collections include the Special Director's Edition of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Heroes, Futurama, The Matrix, Battlestar Galactica, Buffy, Barberella and the Adventures of Emanuelle (yeah, I know you have it...) . Some of us even have taken to creating customised light sabers, Boba Fett's helmet and even a loving re-production of Dr. Jones Sr's diary from Indy and the Last Crusade! We've created customised tatoos for ourselves, stuck Autobot logos on the hood of our Hyundai's where we secretly fantasize about transforming and smashing every sorry prick in that traffic crawl along the North South Highway during the Chinese New Year holidays.

Some of us live out the fantasies in PC and console games. Adventuring as elves, snipers, storm troopers, cybernatic soldiers, boobed out babes in hot shorts, Italian plumbers, gorillas and even funny mutated balls of weirdness. We're guitar heroes, master chiefs, thieves, mages and paladins. But we're still mothers, fathers, employees, employers and children with a different kind of Level Boss to face every other day - the scheming politician in the office, that indecisive client, the insecure senior management, the mother-in-law...

So we hold on to that kid. The one who makes us secretly happy when we stick the glow-in the dark stars on the wall of our little daughter's bedroom, the one who thinks that every tomorrow is like a fresh Saturday morning with new episodes of He-Man and GI Joe and especially the one who really knows no despair except when someone runs over his Optimus Prime in the driveway, easily forgotten in a new morning's sunrise. That kid is what keeps us sane in these increasingly challenging times. We need to chill and let the child out sometimes. C'mon! Say it with me! "THUNDERCATS HOOOOO..!!!!!"

Now if only they produced some Immaturity Pills for the office politicians...

3 comments:

Nex said...

Cool post dude! I'm so glad I can be that kid almost every day now that I've vanquished those demonic deadlines and burnt that corporate ladder.

And I have just the Immaturity Pill for your office politicians. You can easily make your own. Here's the formular:

Hire a few stocky thugs (call GoonsRus(46667787) and say you want their 'gunny sack over the head in a dark alley, pounded to a pulp and warned to leave town and never ever return' package. Guaranteed to work ,or your money back :P

Nex said...

Oh, and 'KAWABANGA!!!'

Chindiana said...

Haha! Thanks Nex! If i had a dollar for every time I considered going the GoonsRus route...